Sunday 29 April 2018

Professional football player with colostomy

As a person with a colostomy procedure, I never expected to be able to make it to the NFL, but here we are. I began my football career in junior high. I was in the seventh grade, and all my friends were going to play. They asked me to try out as well, even though they knew I had very little football experience. I was surprised when I made the team; they don’t take everyone. Some of my friends who have been playing for a few years did not make it, yet I did. Thoes few friends who did not make the team were proud of me but also quite jealous. I was excited that i made the team and was looking forward to my future in football. 


I fell in love with football and i knew i wanted to play in college and professional if I could make it. My life changed one day in highschool after a game. After this game I was undressing when i felt a pain in my abdomen. I told my parents about the pain i was feeling and they scheduled a doctores appointment immediately. On the day of my appointment i was kind of nervous because my stomach was still hurting. I told the doctor what was going on and he wanted to get an Xray. 

Following my xray the doctor told me that i needed to get a colostomy procedure. I was devastated. I thought my football career was going to end here and now. I asked my doctor if I could still play, he told me that so long as I do not wear my bag when i play i should be alright. After my procedure I was asking countless questions regarding my new situation. I was relieved to hear i could sill play football. I made a pact with myself that no matter what i would not let this hold me back from making it to the NFL someday. 



I continued to play football even after my procedure but i need to be careful. I need to ensure i do not wear my bag during games and i need to apply a custom made metla plate that keeps my stoma protected. When I got approached by a recsruter for college football i was ecstatic. I played through college with a full ride scholarship and eventually was getting scouted by some of my favorite teams. After a while i got approached by one and we set up a  contract. I told them about my situation. They were very understanding and accepting of it. They too were suprides that someone with my condition has made it this far in a rough sport like football. 





Being a football player in the NFL with an ostomy is an odd situation to say the least. Any time i tell people that i have an ostomy they are surprised. I cant say i blme them either, doctors generly tell people like me to not play physical contact sports but so long as you take the proper precautions and protect yourself. I am glad to be where i am today as i can stand as an example for others like me to show that no matter what it is you can do what ever you want. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Professional football player with colostomy

As a person with a colostomy procedure, I never expected to be able to make it to the NFL, but here we are. I began my football career in ju...